Though we’re still enjoying moderately warm temperatures in Los Angeles, winter is coming. Cool, dry air and wind can leave skin dry and lifeless, even if you’re naturally oily. Dry skin may also be caused by prolonged use of hot water and a deficiency of vitamins A, B and E. The next time your face appears taut and scaly, try one of these natural remedies.
Banana Avocado Mask: Restores moisture while beautifying and feeding the skin.
- 1 medium banana (vitamin B6, restores elasticity)
- ½ avocado (vitamin A, natural exfoliate, removes toxins)
- 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil (vitamin E, reduces wrinkles, restores moisture)
- 1 tablespoon honey (opens pores, removes impurities, moisturizes, naturally protects against UV rays)
- ¼ cup almond milk (same benefits as sweet almond oil)
Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth. Wash and dry face and apply generously. Allow to set for 25-30 minutes. Rinse with tepid water. Pat dry.
The Aloe Vera Face Mask: Naturally heals and protects the skin while nourishing and moisturizing
Start with a fresh washed face. Use a sharp knife or scissors to cut a full leaf from the base of the plant. Cut and discard the pointy end of the leaf. Remove the “teeth” from one side of the fat portion of the leaf, and slice it open lengthwise. Rub the open leaf all over your face. Leave on until completely dry. Rinse with cool water and follow with a moisturizer if necessary.
Beauty expert, Julyne Derrick, raves about this Super Hydrating Facial Moisturizer (www.beauty.about.com).
- ¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil
- ¾ cup cocoa butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Few drops of essential oil (rose, lavender or eucalyptus)
Place ingredients in a small pan and heat until the oils are fully melted. Pour in a small round bowl with a top that fastens and shake vigorously. Apply liberally to face (and body if you like). Gently remove excess with soft, dry washcloth. This mixture also makes an excellent makeup remover.
Using any of these recommended skin treatments will help your face look fresh and youthful all winter long.