Los Angeles is bursting at the seams with alternative lifestyles and endless opportunities to study and sample many different modes of living, thinking and being. Some LAUSD elementary schools have added "Spirituality for Kids," an enrichment social emotional learning program teaching children to make wise choices by listening to their inner being. Psychics, astrologers, yoga masters and spiritual advisors provide guidance to anyone who wants to know when, why, how, what or where things are happening in their lives. We are the reported home of the largest Catholic diocese in the United States. You can worship among 22,000 members of the Crenshaw Christian Center, or study ancient African Spirituality with truth seekers at KRST Unity Center on 78th Place and Western in south L.A. Whatever your preference for insightful living, you can find it in L.A.
Humans are undoubtedly poised for a shift in consciousness. The dense, material world in which we live is faltering and reactions vary from prophecies of everything from apocalyptic damnation to Divine expansion. There is one thing on which we all agree --- we are here right now. As of this moment we are living, breathing, doing beings. For as long as there are humans on Earth there will be millions of people looking for ways to live better and more fulfilling lives.
Below is a brief list of tools you may use in the pursuit of living more insightfully and on purpose.
- Astrology: The study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies and their influence on human affairs.
- Feng Shui: According to Jayme Barrett, feng shui consultant and author of the Los Angeles Times bestselling book Feng Shui Your Life, feng shui is an ancient art of placement that helps you to arrange your home, office, indoor and outdoor environments so that your life is harmonious and your dreams are realized to their fullest. Many people report that feng shui has helped them see themselves and their lives more clearly.
- Akashic Field Therapy (TM): AFT founder, CJ Martes unites penetrating scientific insight and ancient knowledge to help individuals resolve traumas and realize their full mental, spiritual and physical potential. Ervin Laszlo, Ph.D. and author of Science and the Akashic Field, says “Akashic Field Therapy (TM) is an integral method of healing that allows an individual to reveal important information that is creating subconscious barriers or blocks to happiness & well-being."
- Crystals: There are many ancient references to the use of crystals in healing the body and mind. The earliest mention is in the Papyrus Ebers dated around 1600 B.C., which lists different crystals and their healing properties. Today, crystals are used for physical and emotional healing, and spiritual balancing.
- Reiki: An ancient Japanese healijng modality that uses Divinely guided or intuitive life force energy to promote natural healing and realignment of mind, body and spirit..
- Meditation: Meditation is the a method of calming and quieting the mind. In a state of meditation we can tap into our intuition and receive clear messages from our higher selves, God or divinity.
- Pendulums: Pendulums date back as far as 6000 BC. They are used for healing, dowsing and gaining insight into future events.
- Tarot cards: Tarot readings pull back the curtains of our lives so we can see what's really going on. They empower us to make choices that support personal growth, spiritual development and the manifestation of what is best for everyone involved. They present options and answer questions that help us navigate life in the flow, rather than fighting blindly against it.
If you're feeling stuck, surrounded by negativity, uncertain or unclear about the direction of your life, perhaps a bit of insight is all you need to clear the cobwebs. Do some research to determine which method is best for your personal belief system and needs, and go for. You'll be happy you did.