Mental clarity and concentration help us work and live more effectively and efficiently. Whether you're a 9-to-5er, business owner, student or retiree, conscious use of your time and energy will enhance your ability to work, rest and play. The next time you lack mental clarity, try this simple Reiki exercise to clear cobwebs from your mind. It's 0 calories, caffeine-free and always at your disposal.
Sit in a chair with your back straight and your feet flat on the floor.
Close your eyes and imagine a protective and loving energy streaming from above and flowing downward through the top of your head. Feel it moving down through the center of your body, past your neck, chest, torso and out of your tailbone. Now imagine there is an anchor at the bottom of this beam of energy as it passes out of your tailbone down through the floor to the core of Mother Earth. Feel that anchor lock in place at the Earth's core. Now visualize this protective and loving energy expanding to form a protective cylinder around you that cannot be penetrated.
Hold that protective and grounding vision as you do the following breathing exercise:
- Hold your nostrils closed with your index finger and thumb.
- Keeping one nostril closed with your thumb, remove your index finger and inhale through the open nostril.
- Now close the open nostril with your index finger, and release the opposite nostril with your thumb; exhale through the open nostril.
- Now, inhale through the open nostril through which you just exhaled.
- Close the open nostril with your thumb, release the opposite nostril with your index finger and exhale through it.
- Repeat this breathing pattern 10 - 20 times, alternating nostrils each time you inhale and exhale.
- Finish by taking 3 deep, cleansing breaths.
This breathing exercise can be used any time for mental clarity. It also works well in the bath or shower with aromatherapy grade essential oils.
The next time you feel like you're in a mental fog, try this exercise and emerge ready to think, work and live with greater ease and efficiency.